Monday, November 12, 2012

Homage to Autumn Beauty

This card is one of the ones I made at our monthly stamping club meeting this last Saturday. 



We were playing around with the direct-to paper-technique, trying a few different ideas and this is how my card ended up.  Actually, by the time I finished, not much of the direct-to-paper inking showed anymore.

Using the direct-to-paper technique, for me, is kind of like taking that first step into cold water.  I have to talk myself into making the first swipe of ink across the paper.  The key is not to overdo the amount of ink applied - to know when to stop.  Also working from lighter to darker colors, rather than the other way around is the best approach.

I wound up sponging the land and sun using punched and torn Post-It Note masks.  The tree is from the gorgeous "Lovely As a Tree" Stampin' Up! set.  The script down the side is from the SU set "French Foliage".  All inks used are Stampin' Up!. The tree is stamped in Early Espresso and watercolored using SU marker ink applied to a plastic palette and painted on with a watercolor brush. For a finishing touch, I sponged around the edges with Always Artichoke and Early Espresso inks.  It gives a definition between the main image and the Old Olive mat.

The sentiment is from Stampin" Up!'s "Nature Silhouettes" stamp set.  Perfect for this card.
Have a fabulous week.
Sue
 

4 comments:

Caroline said...

This is gorgeous I love the layout and the colours are beautiful. Caroline xxx

Elizabeth Allan said...

A beautiful blend of autumn colors!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wonderful card- love the colors and the scene you created!

Kathi said...

Absolutely gorgeous.

It's a wonderful scene, beautifully composed and colored.