Monday, July 18, 2011

Happileigh Scrappin' Challenge #31 - Make Your Own Embellishment

Good Monday morning!  Monday means it's time for another new challenge over at Happileigh Scrappin'.  This week's challenge is hosted by Starla.  The challenge is to make your own embellishments - ribbons, punches, flowers, buttons, anything you can think of.  Not all of the embellishments need to be hand made, but at least one does. 

I decided to go with a fairytale and steampunk theme so I could use my new Tim Holtz dies - Gadget Gears and Tattered Florals with one of my favorite papers from The Once Upon a Time.DCWV stack.  For my project I used two of  Leigh Grady's Happileigh Scrappin' digis - Water Sprite and this month's freebie with any purchase - Taking Time.



Once Upon a Time


I colored the Water Sprite and two of the Taking Time clocks with Copic Markers and a gold gel pen and cut them out.
Next I die cut the gears and flowers and Stampin' Up's Embosslit - Sweet Buttons using white cardstock.  Then I sponged Distress Inks on them - Frayed Burlap, Pumice Stone, Old Paper, Vintage Photo, Broken China, Faded Jeans, Weathered Wood, Fired Brick, Spun Sugar.

I sponged Walnut Stain Distress Ink around the edges of the 8" x 8" Once Upon a Time DCWV design paper, then glued down one of the clocks and the Water Sprite on to the design ppaper. 
After putting the flowers together using dimensional foam tape and the embossed die cut buttons for the flower centers, I attached them and the gears and extra buttons to the bottom left corner, along the bottom and the left side of the design paper.
Using ths second clock, I cut off the rod to the pendulum and glued it over top of the first one. Then I took the clock and base of the pendulum and popped them up with dimensional foam tape over top of the first ones. 
I used Stampin' Up Not Quite Navy and Soft Suede cardstock for a mat under the picture.

You can see the rest of the Happi Sisters Design Team's fabulous creations over at Happileigh Scrappin' Challenge Blog.  You don't have to use a Happileigh Scrappin' image to participate in the challenege, but if you do your project will be entered into a second drawing for just the Happileigh Scrappin' image projects.

Looking forward to seeing your projects in the challenge.
Thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

Starla B. said...

This is just too pretty. I love the colors, and love how the wings are so bright compared to everything else. Just lovely.

Scrappin Chris said...

I love your card. The flowers are awesome!!
Your HappiSister
Chris

Vicki said...

Sue, this card is amazing. I love the contrast between the bright fairy colors and the more distressed steampunk style. Fabulous!

Made by Mandy said...

OMG, this is totally amazing what you have done with this card. Shows Leigh's images off in a completely different way.

Well done sweetheart :)

Love Mandy xxx

Jennifer Scull said...

this is simply amazing! I love the steampunk twist you have given to these images. so creative! :)